Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ferdinand Mugg


Good ol' Ferdinand, how I've missed your seemingly apathetic ways and mercenary-like tendencies. This is another character of my fiance's that I missed gaming with and just had to do him as a Christmas present. I decided to give Sculpey a bit of a try instead of just painting things on and making it look flat. Sorry that there aren't any progress pictures. I seemingly forgot to take any, since my back was killing me from working on it all day (about 6-7 hours of continuous work).

Here's the ponytail, ears and tail done in Sculpey, before baking and painting. What's not shown are the tiny pieces of armour I did.

The finished piece from the front. Took a million coats of that brown paint for the pants and it STILL looks messy. I was also worried that he looked too cat-like, but there wasn't much I could do at this point. The ears...were a trial-and-error thing as to where to glue it, especially on that curved head.

Ferd from the back. I'm really proud of that tail, but the ponytail...not really (not to mention it's not placed in the middle of the head).
Otherwise, this was a lesson on "how to do sculpey properly next time". I like how the paint job came out on this one better than the previous Muggs I did (I haven't uploaded them yet because they're presents for people that I haven't given yet), as I took the advice of some forum posters to mix some water in with the paint.
And since I was messing with some Sculpey, I decided to make a companion boibadonk:
For those who are out of the loop (which is like all of you), a boibadonk is part bird, part baboon and part donkey. It showed up in this page of Darkbolt and this page of BreakPoint City.
Tiny, stupid and very out of focus. But at least it's a tiny bit of cheer he can bring to his office to show off to everyone...who...don't know what it is....

0 comments: